TFO is a non-profit organization dedicated to getting trapping and poisoning of our wildlife legally banned in Oregon by November 2014.
TrapFree Oregon is postponing its ballot initiative until November 2016. There are many reasons for this:
1) Our recent polling indicates that very few Oregonians even know that trapping is legal and practiced all over the state. Education is going to take longer than the time we have before the 2014 ballot.
2) Because of the low level of understanding about trapping, our polling numbers in favor of significant trapping restrictions were NOT high enough at this point to proceed.
3) Our 2014 ballot initiative wording restricted the types of traps that could be used on private land. It was primarily the body-gripping traps that cause the most pain and suffering in the trapped animal, but our polling shows that any measure that tries to restrict the rights of private property owners in OR faces significant opposition and is unlikely to pass.
4) Failure is NOT an option on this one. The TFO feels that the extra two years will allow us to do what needs to be done to succeed. Rushing this process is not a good idea.
Here is a list of things YOU CAN DO NOW:
1) Educate yourself about animal trapping in Oregon. This website is a great place to start.
2)Educate yourself by participating in our FaceBook Page. Current trapping events, editorials, statistics and stories. READ, COMMENT, SHARE.
3)Make a donation - Our opponents will be well funded. We must be too.
People who ENJOY trapping animals and their supporters are already amassing a war chest to fight our ballot initiative in the last few weeks before the 2016 election. We must be ready to counter their deceptions and misrepresentations.
As you look through this website, please remember that any references to a 2014 ballot initiative are incorrect. We are remaking this website to make navigation easier and we will be posting updates here on a regular basis. Please check back.
None of this will happen without your generous, tax-deductible donation.
To join the SUSTAINING CIRCLE of DONORS, please click on "Subscribe" which allows you to make an automatic monthly donation (through 11/4/2014, election day).